Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Some Important Information Learned

Today I had my appointment early in the morning at 7:30. Actually two appointments. I met with the GI first. This had more of the feeling of a follow-up. The ball is pretty much out of his court now, that became apparant fairly quickly. He gave me things to look for after the cancer has been cured, and if they occur I will need to go back in and see him. But that will be down the road, and unrelated. So we won't cover that here. He gave some comforting words, and mentioned how if I had not gotten as sick as I did, then I wouldn't have found this. And shed light into how he was impressed by the miracle. He believes the issues I'm still having are from the cancer alone.

Then came the meat and potatoes appointment with the surgeon Dr. Foley. He did an excellent job explaining all the scenarios that could play out for me. And there are still a ton!!! We really don't have details about what's going to happen to me, other than I am getting an ultrasound so we can possibly see what stage the cancer is in (all we now know is it's probably not stage 4, and most likely stage 1 or 2 - but this is unkown, can't stress that enough). The other detail we for sure know, is I'm meeting with him again on Wednesday the 7th, to discuss the surgery on Thursday the 8th. We don't know what kind of surgery I'm having, just that it's happening on the 8th. For sure. No doubt about it.

The scenarios seemed endless. I can sort of break it down. There are pieces to the puzzle that we can isolate. I think of it as one of those flip books...ya know, the kind where you can give the monster (or whatever creature the book is focused around) a head, then you can flip the book to give him a different monsters midsection, and feet, etc. Then you end up with a bit of a funny looking monster, and kids eat that stuff up. Off topic, let me get back on.

Okay, so the "Head" of the puzzle is which kind of surgery I am going to have. They are either giong to open me up and operate that way. This would mean I'm in the hospital for around 4 or 5 days after surgery. I'm in a lot of pain for that time, and a short time after. But the total recovery time is 6 long weeks. Not the best option, but the most aggressive, and is often quite necessary. This option would be certain if the cancer is past stage 1 (into 2 or 3). The other option is similar style to a scope. It would be likely if the cancer is in stage 1, and we are positive about it. I wouldn't be admitted, it would be one and done, and head on home. This would be best case scenario. I could literally be cancer free by next Thursday if this is the case, and it's successful. Ideal. If the cancer is more developed, or if they won't be able to get it removed with the simple procedure, then it would require the first type, the rough one. I'm fine with either as long as I can be cured. That is ALL I am concerned about. How I get there means nothing to me, I'm willing to do it all, and with a good attitude!!!

The midsection of our little monster, is whether or not I'll be required to have a permanent colostomy or not. Needless to say, I'd prefer not. But like I mentioned just above, I'll do ANYTHING. And I'll be happy to be alive, with or without a colostomy. Needing this after surgery will be permanent if they do not have enough tissue to put me back together after removal of the cancer. I would never have it reversed, and it would be a part of my life forever. Key word there? "Life". It's all I want. It is possible I won't need the colostomy if they have enough tissue. It is also possible that I will need a temporary one done with my small intestine to allow the area with the cancer to heal. This would only be a for 2-3 weeks or so and I'd have it reversed. It would strictly be to allow proper healing. Again, I'm more than okay with that as well.

The feet of our monster deals with further treatement. Radiation. Chemotherapy. Will I need them? I most likely won't receive any Radiation treatments. They are generally done before surgery, and with the current size of the cancer, they don't think it's worth the reward. So not likely to get that. (anything could change mind you). Chemotherapy is more attune to what kind of cancer I have, and/or what stage it is in, and/or how successful the operation was. What I mean by what kind of cancer I have, is whether or not it shows that it was hereditary. (note: someone in my family does not need to have this for it to be hereditary, it could have been passed down with no one actually developing it; and there is lesss than a 5% chance it's hereditary.) If it is in one of the more advanced stages, Chemo is more likely. If the surgery wasn't 100% successful, obviously Chemo would be necessary as well. So those are the possibilities for that. As a side note, the Chemo would not make me as sick as typical Chemotherapy. Nor would I lose my hair. So sorry dad, I won't be joining you. Also my sisters, I know you are disappointed that I'm not going to ask you to shave your heads.

So, that's in a nut shell. I think I should point out the doctor LITERALLY (and I mean that in every sense of the word) talked to us straight for an hour. Feeding us with information. I can't stress this enough, he literally talked straight for an hour. Only pausing to breath. I didn't speak. Stacy didn't speak. We just listened, for an hour straight of fairly speedy talking. So there is no way I can fit all of it here in the blog, nor do I want to!! These are just the basics of what is happening.

I do not mind what my "monster" looks like at the end. I do not mind if I get the harder of the two surgeries, get the Colostomy, and have to have Chemotherapy. I do not care. What I care about it is keeping faith, and living. If I can do those two things, than I dare them to throw anything at me. Because I will fight it, and I will win. No questions asked. Well I may have some questions, but then I'll kick it's butt after I know it's name!

I have a lot of hope, I have a lot of faith. I know it's a miracle we have found this when we did. It's likely have killed me if I had waited till I was 50. It certainly would have done its damage regardless.

I have the best family and friends that I can imagine, and I'm so thankful for it. The support we've received, the prayers, it's been a miracle in and of itself. I thank everyone, and want you to know I love you. I am going to win, and I'm going to live. And I'm gonna be dang happy doing it!!!

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things were found so early, and we wish you luck. A man in my parent's ward has survived colon cancer, if that's any consolation. :)

    -Jessica Norseth Busby (Stacy's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to here that it isn't a stage 4. It sounds like you have a great doctor. Sounds like you are handling this well. I Love You Dicky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates. Have you seen somebody else for a 2nd opinion on treatment options?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job explaining it all honey! And thank you for properly using the word literally!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job at helping us understand Trav...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Devin, We have not seen another surgeon for 2nd opinions!

    ReplyDelete