Thursday, March 25, 2010

Paperwork...Diagnosis

The GI doctor's office called wanting to set Travis up for a CT scan for tomorrow.  I set it up and got the instructions.  They did not give me any results, but I immediately had a feeling the polyp was cancerous.  When I talked to his doctor the day of his colonscopy he told me that we may do a CT scan for the pain he his feeling, so I figured that was the reason we were scheduling it, but just felt we were gonna find cancer.  Travis was working on getting paperwork filled out for work and so he called his GP to ask a few questions.  In talking to him he found out that there were some test results back.  He then convinced his doctor to give them to him, he was reluctant.  He let us know that a test came back cancerous.  It's kind of hard to explain the details of what went on emotionally for us.  Travis has had a couple blessings, and in this last one he was told he would recover and it was such a specific blessing I know he is going to be completely fine!  So, on the one hand I know he is going to be fine, but on the other hand I'm sick to my stomach.  I mean it's cancer, that's something you never want to hear.  Travis was justifiably upset, and so I called the GI doctor for him to get more information.  The nurse on the phone was a bit rude, it wasn't the one we usually talk to, and she did not understand why I was calling for the results so quickly.  I told her Trav's name, she then told me to hold.  She came back on the phone telling me that they were going to pull up the results and have the doctor call us back.  It was a quarter to five by this point, and I was worried they were not going to call us back that day.  So I said "We know it's cancerous, and have questions."  She got really quite and very nice and regretfully said "Oh, you do."  She then told me that she would put a note to have him call as soon as he can.  He called about half an hour later, in the meantime I looked it up and came up with a list of questions.  To most questions he gave me different scenarios or just said I have no idea.  It's too early to know much.  They were waiting on the CT scan for more information.  Basically all we know is that all the biopsies came back fine, except for the one of the Polyp.  We do not know what stage it is in, what the treatment process will be (radiation, chemotherapy, surgery), how deep it is.  He was so great and spent 10 minutes on the phone with me, and this was after they were closed.  Feeling like I didn't know much still I thanked him and got off the phone with a plan for the CT scan tomorrow, along with blood work.  Then on Tuesday we will meet with the surgeon and the GI doctor for results and figure out how we are going to get rid of the cancer!

The last couple days have created more questions then answers, so we just hold onto the things we know are true.  We know that Travis is going to have a complete recovery.  We know that the Lord loves Travis and our family.  We know that we have a great support system.  We know this is part of the plan for our lives.  We know there are blessings and lessons to come out of this. 

I have also learned how incredibly strong Travis is.  He has suffered so much already, but continues to make me laugh and takes time to spend with the kids in the ways that he can.  He continues to try to comfort me when I'm feeling weak.  He is an amazing Dad and Husband and he is going to be alright! 
We appreciate all the calls, e-mails, and facebook messages.  If you would like to contact either or us directly Travis's e-mails is broncosfreak87@gmail.com, mine is cybermommy@gmail.com and our phone is 801-317-4936!

No comments:

Post a Comment